Well here’s a blog we bet you never thought you’d be reading…! While we had a break from carpet cleaning in Wimbledon, we thought we’d bring you some facts about carpets you probably didn’t know.
Carpets have been along since before Jesus, the knotted pile carpet probably originated 2-3000 years before him in the Caspian Sea area.
Long-used as decorative pieces to hang on walls, they’re now one of the more popular types of flooring in houses and homes.
Without further ado, then, here we go…
1. The most expensive carpet ever sold was the silk Isfahan rug of central Persia. The incredible craftsmanship, high knot density and use of pure silk made it a one-of-a-kind.
It sold for an eyewatering $4,450,000 USD in 2008.
2. A human being sheds about 1-2 million skin flakes an hour, most of which becomes embedded in our carpets. Still thinking about whether or not to clean your carpets?!
3. When properly maintained and cleaned, your carpets might improve the quality of air by trapping allergy-inducing dust and allergens. Most people, however, do not clean their carpets correctly, which can actually make allergies worse.
4. The phrase “to sweep under the carpet” in its figurative sense was first recorded in 1963.
5. To make a carpet brighter, sprinkle salt onto the carpet and let it stand for an hour before vacuuming it up. Salt is also effective in removing muddy footprints.
As ever, if you’ve got any questions or want to get in touch about your carpet cleaning needs, just call us!